Monday, July 31, 2006

What?! What's that??!!

My new job is awesome. But I have an obstacle. I have to learn how to relax and deal with down-time. (What is this 'relax' thing I keep hearing about? What is down-time?) I found out today I'm NOT going to be busy ALL the time I'm at work. (Uhhhh, how does that work? What do you mean?) I'm not a slow-paced worker. I don't like having nothing to do. I'm accustomed to constant multi-tasking and carrying on mile-a-minute-bits-&-pieces-when-we-can-fit-it-in conversations with co-workers during my busy busy non-stop, very UN-down-time work hours.
Uhhhh, not here. The new job is like a big, relaxed, happy career family. I am a fish out of water right now, flopping and flipping and wriggling and spasming around on the dry bare floor of an honest-to-goodness 'relaxed' work environment.
& I'm sure plenty who read this will think 'Wow, it's gotta be reeeaaall rough, there, Bec.' (yayaya) I'm not saying I'm at all displeased, because I know I can find ways to improve what's existing and can still look forward to taking on new projects (pick me! pick me! - how annoying am I?) : )
But this is actually exactly what 2 of my doctors have ordered. 'Remove all stress possible from your life.' Which I laaaaaaaaaaaughed at before. But suddenly it's part of my job. Relax. Sit back. Put in some soothing music. Do your work, do it well, and do it efficiently, but STOP the freakishly paced non-stop-aholic-ness.
Pretty great, I must say!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful...it will be a wonderful change. I also know you well enough that you will find ways to fill your time with projects that can be revamped.

    ReplyDelete