Green Lightning?!
We had an incredible electrical storm last night. If you've seen the re-make of War of the Worlds, it was a lot like that with the literally non-stop flashing all around, & the thunder only occasionally sounding (creating an umm-this-is-weird & when-are-the-huge-aliens-gonna-pop-outta-the-roads vibe in the air). To add to the weirdness, there was green lightning. Yep, you read that right, g-r-e-e-n. To the west of our home, we saw flashes of green several different times, mostly coming from the ground, but at least once in the air. (again, weeeiiirrd) But cool.
Research on the internet gave explanations from 1) hail (there wasn't any) to 2)a blown transformer - the zinc or copper vaporize (very likely 'cept what about that one in the middle of the sky?), to 3) atmospherics, and I quote, 'Atmospherics can dictate the color of lighting and the distribution of energy....in short.. could have been green lightning'. Quite interesting to think about & really, really cool to witness.
The storm itself lasted about 10 hours and dumped up to 2 inches of rain in areas of the valley (that's incredible for the desert valley here!) Aside from not having to be at work during nature's awesome light display, I was also able to spend the time with my husband. (Double the pleasure). He suggested we park near an empty field when the lightning was first spotted far to the north of us, in order to enjoy the show even more....AND we ate dinner while doing it! He was impressed that we weren't the only ones with this idea, and I was wow-ed all over again at how great my husband is for me. Needless to say, I couldn't help thinking 'These are the days I'll look back on and cherish, and this feeling is one to never forget.'
Safely watching the power of nature and sitting next to my best friend & husband are 2 miracles I hope I never take for granted.
Plus, my hubby made the comment that this was God's way of celebrating my new job. (YAY to the new job with no more shift-work, but even more YAY to my hubby for knowing another way to make me feel incredibly special and celebrated.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like a great event. I am so glad you got to spend it with your hubby. Cherish the moments, they are what life is made of.
ReplyDeleteOkay... Hot steamy car. Dark stormy nigt... What were you doing watching the storm?!!!
ReplyDelete