Monday, July 17, 2006

Carpe Diem...with puppy dog tails!

Ever have one of those days where that 'thing' you've been considering just walks right in with a big sign: 'Free, Take Me!'? Well, mine did today, and I couldn't resist! My hubby & I have been kicking over the idea of getting a pet. First we wanted a dog. (debate-consider-uncertainty wins) Then a cat. (debate-consider-coworker allergies win) Then a fish. (debate-critique-Iwantsomethingfluffy wins) Then we talked about a dog again. Both of us wanted a german shepherd mix of some sort. But we know that dogs ('specially puppies) are a lot of work, & we've been through a lot of changes in the last year. Steady jobs? Check. Place to live? Check. Allows pets? Check. But.....we figure 'Nah, we can save money and not get a pet.'
Well, then in comes yet-to-be-named-steal-your-heart-6-week-old-german-shepherd-mix-ball-of-fur. Into my WORK of all places. (My work seeming to be lately, a place where no-good-thing-survives.) And what's that sign over his adorable little fuzzy head? 'I need a home. Free. Take Me.'
So I did. Heck, I didn't even hesitate. I first called dibs & then called my husband, 'Honey, do you want a dog?' (Really meaning 'Honey, we just got a dog.') & convinced him to trade his errand of bringing me lunch to instead entail picking up our little heart-tugging scoundrel (food & chew toy included!)

They say 'Sometimes years change nothing. Sometimes one day changes everything.'
I'm grateful that not everything has changed, but I am incredibly grateful and excited that today changed something in a really marvelous way! It may sound corny to be so excited about the addition of a pet, but for anyone who's heart has been waiting to get fuller, I'm sure they'll understand that it's not so corny or cheezy at all.
Now for the hard part - we've got to decide on a name!!

3 comments:

  1. I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! Way cool, especially 'cause it's the kind of dog you've wanted. Good luck with the name...Pat would say to train him to go to the bathroom in one area of the backyard...and get a crate to train him not to poop inside. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that with a ferret. Got him from the pound, bought a cage and the first Perry knew about it was me calling him to let him know he had to pick the cage up in the truck because the ferret couldn't live in our tub forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the greek god names. It gives them instant prestige and god like powers. My I suggest Hades, or better, O Hades? (That way you can say "O Hell" but it sounds cooler. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete