Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Holy Havasupai, Batman!!



Have you ever gone on a vacation and enjoyed every second of it??



Even the part where your muscles hurt so much that you can barely move?

That's the vacation I just had.

Last Friday, two of my friends from work & I headed to the trailhead for Havasupai Canyon which is located at the southwest corner of the Grand Canyon. The only way into the canyon is by foot, horseback, or by helicopter. We opted for backpacking in and helicoptering out. 11 miles to the campsite, carrying 40 lb packs. HECK YA!!


Myself, Karen, and Kim at the beginning of our hike. The trailhead started right behind us - lots of switchbacks descending right into the canyon.



Mid-way (or so) - almost the entire hike was lined on both sides by red rock cliffs. This was in the sandwash/trail along the way.



That's the RIVER behind me. Turquoise water, even in the river?!!
So freakin' cool!!



Friday afternoon and Saturday morning were spent here at Havasu Falls. It's quite a majestic sight, and nature's color palette is awesome with the green foliage, turquoise pool, white waterfall, and red rock. The water, by the way, was COLD!!



Kim & I at the top of Mooney Falls. It's the tallest of the falls in the area at 196 feet, and absolutely breathtaking. To get to the bottom, yout must brave the freakish descent using chains secured to the walls at times - but it's WELL worth it!



This is a picture snapped from the helicopter on our ride back to the hillside. It was surprising to see how much ground we covered on foot (kinda freaky, actually).



Me getting off the helicopter. (Am I excited or what?)


The three of us at the end. I think it says something profound about the trip that our grins are even BIGGER after the 14-16 miles of hiking, blistered feet, and insanely sore muscles.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!! We've heard there's actually another group going at the end of June...


Havasu Falls


Mooney Falls



1 comment:

  1. Wow! I want to go, too! We're doing a quick stop by the Grand Canyon in a few weeks, but unfortunately, I'm just going to have to live with being teased with the closeness.

    ReplyDelete