Wednesday, May 30, 2007

2nd Chances

I first really caught myself re-musing about the beauty of my 'second chance' opportunities while hiking the 11 miles to Havasupai. I had a wonderful time picking through my heart and mind while on that journey, and was able to ponder and reflect on things big and small.

First and foremost, I was grateful and amazed to be on this hike. I first saw photos of Havasupai back in 1998 while working at the Wal-Mart PhotoCenter in Utah, and promised myself that someday I would go there - wherever in the world it was located. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was in my home state! It still took me 9 years to make it, but had I remained married & in my then-current circumstances, the chances of getting there are next to none. Only if I had taken absolute initiative and been willing to go alone and/or without my husband, would I have gone. Sad but true.

Secondly, I enjoyed the journey. There were times along the trail that I caught myself smiling to myself - a huge, completely content, and utterly complete grin spread across my face. This is a journey I wanted to be on, and I was on it. I was surrounded by nature's miraculous beauties, and I was part of it all in those moments. Experiencing, sharing, and partaking of it all. (I know I get just a bit cheezy about it all) but Outside is my place to Be. I'm always more alive, more whole, more content . . . more ME when I'm outside - especially in a place with little or no civilization. I'm a dirt-loving girl, what more can I say?

Third, I found out about 3 weeks prior to this trip that I have a brain cyst. All I knew for 5 days was that it existed & I needed another test to find out if it was benign. Those 5 days sent me through a re-evaluation of my life and priorities which allowed me an amazing opportunity to see life with a new perspective. What is REALLY important to me? What is lasting? What do I want more than anything? What are all the little things I will miss about my life and this earth? What am I going to be saddest about missing out on if my future is suddenly cut short?
Beautifully, I felt underlying peace the entire time. I found that I was truly at peace with my life and how I have lived it. (pretty big for me having gone through a divorce within the last 6 months) The only regrets would be not having the chance to accomplish the few things which I have always longed for - namely having a family of my own and being sealed for forever to my future husband. After the 5 days, I got news that my cyst is non-threatening in every way. Nothing to be concerned about at ALL. So there has been an added appreciation and gratitude for life and health which I recognized and counted my blessings for while I made the journey through the canyon. I was physically able to do this. & after all my health issues and physical pain and limitations existing through the last 2 years, it was a wonderful experience to be able to accomplish something so big.

Fourth, I had a few conversations about what I want in a future spouse. & while there could easily be a huge list of what i do and don't want, I was really able to just sum it up in the simple request that he be my equal. And in saying that, I realized that it's a perfectly legitimate request - in fact, it makes perfect and fair sense. I'm sad to admit this, but that's a new concept for me. There's justification from my life-lived in asking for someone who matches and compliments me. It's not asking for too much or being too picky. It's what I deserve. Again, I am so grateful for second chances. : )

Fifth, I am so grateful to be inspired by people who come into my life and heart. I am grateful to know that I can love again and can experience the giddiness, the joy, the beauty, the strength, the purity, the respect, and the goodness of a relationship with someone else. Whether it stays or you have to let it gently go, it's still real and effectual, and does a wonderful miracle in blessing your life and heart for the better. I am so grateful for second chances to be able to experience that, and for my heart to grow stronger and deeper.






Second chances are miraculous. What are the second chances you are enjoying in life right now?

3 comments:

  1. One of the best second chances we have now is to have you more actively back in our lives. But that's a kind of selfish one.

    Every Sunday my life is full of second chances. I'm always overwhelmed by that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has a benign brain cyst, too, so second chances are not unfamiliar to me. I think if we really look at our lives, we would be surprised at all the second chances we're given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOOO jealous of your trip! SOOOOO inspired by your faith, perspective, and approach to life.

    ReplyDelete