Tuesday, January 09, 2007

definition (def u nish un) n.

At the end of my previous blog, I wrote this line about the social aspect of my singles' ward:
"It's that other part that's so ... so UGH."

In re-reading my whiny blog : ), I wondered what the definition of UGH might be. & today it's completely different than it would have been then. (Thank goodness!)
I was thinking a lot about how difficult the Sunday PM experience was, & the agitation I felt, and I made it a goal to make this single's ward my place of growth. It's my 'testing ground' so to speak. It's not my place of solace & comfort (I could & actually DO have that in a family ward, but that's not where I feel I need to be). So it's my trial. My test. But not in the normal definitions. It's my place to take new steps, try new things, test new approaches - use as a trial run & testing ground. Trial & Test being verbs, not nouns, and verbs which I am acting out.

Honestly, so far that's exactly what I've been doing - I just haven't given it that name or official perspective. In the last day & a half, I have just basically changed the definition of what my role is & what the role of the ward is. I didn't really have a lot of expectations from the ward, but I think I had really underestimated the demands of the social world which comes with singles' life. I love going to church & feeling the Spirit. But I had forgotten how difficult it is to be actively, consistently social with a group of unknown faces & personalities. I haven't had to exert this kind of social & emotional readiness for several years. Being married allowed me a lot of emotional & social luxuries. & now I'm having to go back out & do a bunch of hard labor. It will exhaust me, but as long as I stick with it, I will strengthen and find joy & gratitude in it and for it.
I now see it as difficult. But very worthwhile. I am not in it with the purpose of obtaining anything from others. I am in it to give to others and gain experience...test my social interaction skills. I have specific goals. Hehe. (I get excited about this now.)

It's a new challenge. I have the opportunity to be in a place where I am still being tested & tried & pushed & stretched, and I get to find out how I'll respond. If I choose to be angry, annoyed, and judgemental, then I am choosing to miss out on those specific blessings I just blogged about in Precipice. I get to experiment with my faith & trust. Are there going to be really awkward, eye-crossing, want-to-die-or-kill-someone times? yep. Bring on the world of the guinea pig.

& I make a prediction: This ward will become a place of great joy & expression for me. It will be a place I look forward to being, and I will miss the people when I leave & move to Oregon. hehe
But this is not a place I am consigned to. The only place I am consigned to is my own heart & mind. & I choose today to work on making that better, joyfullier, and more peaceful.
(& I know it's technically more joyful. But joyfullier made me smile. Bigly.)

So today's definition of UGH is:

ugh (ug) n. 1. a challenge requiring great mental and emotional exertion in order to endure and overcome; a mountain to be conquered; a fight to be won.
2. an opportunity offering tremendous potential for growth and strengthening. 3. a gift.

4 comments:

  1. I keep hearing that Power Tunes song, Attitude. Thanks for havin such a good one, it sets a good example.

    I'm taking two classes this spring and dreading it. But I like the way you put it, "I have the opportunity to be in a place where I am still being tested & tried & pushed & stretched, and I get to find out how I'll respond."

    You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the healthy way in which you reframe something that could be negative in your life to something that you " . . .get excited about . . . now".

    Many times we face situations (work, church, etc) that we can't easily change much except our attitudes and our actions. I appreciate you sharing your journey as you made this choice, especially on the heels of your previous post. I am sure that you will find the ward a place of great joy which you will hate to leave.
    Where is heaven? It is within ourselves, and wherever we put the effort in to make the world better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, brothers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I need to apply this lesson to my housework. Bring on the toilets!

    ReplyDelete