Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tribute to a Song

These are words from a song I heard on the radio about 4 months ago:

"I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen",
And it's still raining."

Have you ever felt this way?
When I first heard the song, it struck a chord within my heart. Prior to falling in love with my husband & being married to him, I had been on my own - I moved from my hometown at 18 & was in the school and/or working world for 9 long years. 8 years of which my [family support] lived at least 80 miles away, or in another state. I grew up feeling rather isolated in many respects, and spent most of those 9 "alone" years feeling like I was floating on a raft which I had made as stable and comfortable as possible, but which was still needing an anchor or dock...somewhere to stay and belong.
Throw in a fair share of good friends moving away (& on with their lives), other friendships gone awry, relationships ending painfully but rightly, and several years of depression, and I was exhausted with being single and being alone. I suffered through serious self-esteem issues, an abusive relationship, and a myriad of lonely tear-filled nights petitioning Heavenly Father to help me find just one healthy friend I could share part of my life with. I wanted to move on. In fact, I just plain wanted to move! I was struggling with my heart being way too small for this big city, and yet feeling with certainty in my prayers that I needed to remain here.
So when I heard the lyrics about saying Amen & it still raining, I felt a quiet appreciation and understanding of how that has existed in my life. Not in a negative way at all, but in a simple "Hey - I've felt that!" acknowledgement of a difficult experience. I also happen to LOVE the rain, and felt an additional peace & joy in the analogy. I cannot count the times that I said "Amen", opened my eyes & realized the storm of my life was still raging. I would then get up from my knees, hope with all my heart that the weather would change tomorrow, or this week, or this weekend, and the time would pass & it would still be storming. Again, and again, after each Amen.
The song goes on to say beautifully:

"I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm"

I heard the song once. Kept listening for it. Didn't hear it again until the 2nd week after marriage-world turned upside down. & I then heard it 4 or 5 times within the next 2 weeks. Then I bought the CD & I now listen to it whenever I want. : )
(Artist: Counting Crowns; Album: Lifesong)
The biggest difference this time around for my storm-endurance test is that I have learned to cope while in the storm. The storm does not need to change in order for me to find peace. The storm does not have to end in order for relief to come. I discovered that the answer is inside, not outside. And God is always here with me, inside & outside, if I choose to be worthy & accepting of Him & His blessings.
I am reminded of the quote:
"Sometimes God calms the storm, and sometimes God lets the storm rage and calms His child."

I have been blessed in my life through lyrics of songs. I have learned this is a way in which my heart & life can be altered in a quiet, tender way. & I am doing my best to live up to the chorus of this song & to praise God through my storm and acknowledge the numerous blessings He gives to me each day. I'm finding that as I do it, I'm actually feeling appreciation & joy again. Small victories in the midst of the torrential downpours of added sorrows, sadnesses, and pains, but still victories.
And I indeed thank my Heavenly Father and acknowledge his perfect, loving hand and heart in all things, especially in my life and current storm.
He is amazing!!

3 comments:

  1. I love that the song "mysteriously" reappeared after a really long time, just when you needed it.

    Holy smackerel girl...you amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ROCK!!
    Thank you - so very, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that quote about calming the storm yesterday and absolutely love it. Thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete