Even though it doesn’t quite feel like it in Mesa yet, Summer is officially over, and Fall is in swing. I think palm tree fronds should change color and fall off. Actually, why am I limiting it to just palm fronds? ALL desert-abiding trees should be deciduous!!
More than the desire to experience skeletal trees for 6 months, I’m missing the visual differentiation of seasons. I plan on getting up to the ‘high’ country this fall and enjoying the changing leaves, but I miss having it on my doorstep. Literally.

Growing up, I was at my grandparents’ house everyday. And they had a TON of Fall-respecting trees. We had 4 willow trees in my front yard, too, so I miss the leaves being everywhere during late Fall when the air is crisp. Raking them into ‘houses’, making leaf beds and HUGE piles to jump into…climbing out of the piles laughing, with leaves everywhere in my hair and on my clothes, and grandma bringing out hot chocolate to drink while we sat in my mapped out ‘kitchen’…those are joyous memories! And even after 9 years of living in a desert valley, it doesn’t feel adequate to simply have a slight temperature drop announce that Fall has arrived.
So if you are somewhere that the leaves are changing color, enjoy it extra for me. Take pictures and relish in the beauty and wonder of Fall arriving in its quiet, artistic glory. Play and laugh and revel in its calm yet commanding magnificence.
And now, on to my Summer-now-past…
It was FANTASTIC. My best, EVER, and full of some of the best things life has to offer:
- deepening friendships
- newfound friends
- abundant smiles
- heart-filled laughter
- surprising & unexpected joys
- uncharted territory (for me, at least)
- last minute adventures
- road-trips chock-filled with merriness
- new camping spots
- visual wonders leaving their reverence forever imprinted on my heart
- star-filled skies
- crickets chirping me to sleep
- giddiness-inducing thunderstorms & rain
- chaos being subdued by brilliance & creativity
- answers to prayer
- forward motion
- cartwheels
- lakes
- hikes
- family
- dinosaurs
- soft grass
- trees
- mountains
- flavored honey
- bare feet
- cabins
- wind-blown hair
- birthday celebrations
- nature’s majesty
- 4-wheelers in the mountains
- hammocks
- feet-out-the-car-window (wind between my toes!!)
- a new home
- a new job
- waterfalls
- ponytails
- tents
- guidance
- uninhibited JOY
It has been phenomenal, and I feel blessed with the opportunity to be who and where I am today.
Here are some of the places I visited this summer:

Yosemite


Mexico!!

Utah with the fam! - 24th of July
North & South Rim of Grand Canyon

And September started out with a trip to Zion Nat’l Park, UT!
I also spent the 24th of July in Salt Lake City with family, went to a friend's cabin in Heber (AZ) for Independence Day, and camped at Horton Creek & the Mogollon Rim...as well as spent my birthday in New Mexico (Silver City & the City of Rocks) with family!!
Out of 12 consecutive weekends, I was at home for only 2 of them. And I enjoyed every crammed minute of travel and trip!
It makes such a positive difference in the quality of living to have good friends and associations that support me in my life and dreams and share in my joy and laughter! I am grateful beyond measure to have found a number of solid friendships which continue to provide an inlet and outlet of support and joy and love.
Here’s to Fall & Winter being just as beautiful and warm as the Summer. Warm hearts, mittens, scarves, and cold weather camping…it’s great to be alive!


You went to Mexico? Cool! Glad you had a great summer. While your was crazy, mine was kind of mellow, but sometimes we need that too.
ReplyDeleteSi, Mexico! And you're taking Spanish this year!! That's so exciting!! Como estas, Karina?
ReplyDeleteI love that you chose to do so much this summer.
ReplyDeleteI am loving fall.
It's nearly my favorite season.
(I vascillate between fall and spring).
Yo estoy muy bien proque yo estoy muy loco porque escuela. A mi me encanta tú!
ReplyDeleteSi! Escuela es muy loco.
ReplyDeleteYour spanish is great! You definitely know more than I do! That's so fun!! : )