Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Success

So I had a realization tonight (a few actually), but let me rewind just a bit.

Overall, I am still doing remarkably well. I owe that to Heavenly Father and my loved ones who are reaching me through long-distance faith and love (2 things which do not have to abide by the laws & physics of this world - yay!) and to my friends nearby who are extending their ears, arms, shoulders, hearts, and lives. I also know that another huge ingredient for the 'doing remarkably well' result is my part in this whole thing. My simple faith & obedience which I'm choosing to exercise. & while they are simple in their nature, there is great passion and emotion driving both of them right now. My testimony of obedience feels like it has increased exponentially. Be Obedient! In any way, shape, or form (even purposefully driving the speed limit just to be obedient, or giving up a favorite hobby with Babylonian influences - mine was a stupid-but-addictive TV show) - there is healing & peace & strength given through simple but willful obedience. (Test it!) It rocks.

Ok. Tangeant #1 is finished.

My realization tonight was that (well crap, I forgot). Oya, it was:
I have been successful.
I've had the opportunity to test out on a handful of people the condensed version of 'what happened' between my spouse & I. & the responses I've gotten have been really mixed. Some have been extremely supportive and gentle, others extremely hurtful and abrupt. Mostly supportive, but still many which fill in the missing blanks with their guesses & assumptions, & offer suggestions on how I can improve. (& I have a pride issue there, cuz the first thing I usually think is "Hey - I'm doing better than I ever knew I could. Don't offer suggestions which I interpret as saying I'm not doing well enough. I'm doing my best already!" Pride, I know. But I'm also learning to give myself credit where it is actually deserved. Big thing for me. And I'm working on addressing the heart of the pride issue - it's still very much a work in progress.)

Tonight, I realized: I was successful. I didn't fail. I did exactly what I would have wanted myself to have done in this test. I had faith in someone who showed every sign of putting the pieces of their life back together and being humble and righteous. I followed the spirit. (For those who have questioned -& will question- the wisdom of the choice I made to marry my spouse & additionally tack on the advice that hindsight is always clearer than foresight, again I say: I followed the spirit. Marrying my spouse was the right thing for me to do.)
I learned about daily communication and kindnesses on a deeper level than I had ever had a chance to. I learned about heart-filled laughter in the midst of deepening trials and pressures. I learned about comprimising & sacrificing & working together, and doing them all willingly and with an eye on the future and the goals we were working on. (Heaven or bust!) I learned about being independently dependent and moving past disappointments. I fought for & believed in my spouse with every ounce of my heart and soul, and did it willingly and lovingly. He was my priority. Our future was my priority. Being right with God was my priority.
And I was successful.
This truly is a situation where I couldn't have done anything to prevent this 'ending' to our story. There is nothing I could have done differently to fix the problem or change the course of events. I was oblivious to all of the additional issues of my spouse, and not because I was choosing to ignore them, not because I wasn't asking the right questions, not because I wasn't following the spirit, or because I was totally naive. --My spouse was just really that good at hiding his sins until he was caught in his lies.
And when I began learning about the hidden sins of my spouse, I took time to communicate, reflect, and create a game plan for getting through it successfully - for both of us. When it was discovered that there were still lies present, even in my spouse's ability to tell me whether he was hiding anything else, I realized I had to make a decision. I took the decision to the Lord. I attended the temple. I conversed with my dear sister. I created some space to make a decision with less of the emotional clouding, and I moved forward once I got the answer. No moving backward, no lollygagging, no back & forth. I ripped the band-aid off will full force. In shock and even denial at times, I had to remind myself this was real, but I still moved forward. Centimeters and inches in the beginning emotionally, but it was still forward.
Sad. Sad, sad situation. I am also having to learn at this point to stop protecting and defending my spouse. (Tonight is my first night of being consciously active in changing this). He has actions to be accountable and responsible for. And while the details are not for sharing, the factual basis is. & that's another hard thing for me to work on.

Oddly enough, I haven't had a trial of unanswered questions for Heavenly Father about why this happened to me . . . or why the Spirit didn't give me a heads up. It has always just felt like it's all okay. It happened the way it was meant to. There is no why, there is only the great blessings to be gained through deepening faith and trust in God and obedience to his commandments. I am learning lessons which I couldn't have learned any other way, and it is God's plan. It really is that simple.
Now don't get me wrong. I still get VERY lonely. I still cry tears from the deepest area of my very bruised heart. I still struggle to feel strong and capable and confident. I still battle with insecurities and have plenty of uncertainties about being accepted and loved and good enough. This is my life and these are battles I have fought every year of my life since middle school. (As have most of us.)
For whatever reason, though, Heavenly Father has allowed me the gift of having no doubts or wavering questions about why this happened. I honestly, with all my heart, feel like it is exactly the path I was supposed to have taken to be where I am today. . . and to prepare for my tomorrows. In so many ways, I am at the best place I have ever been. My focus and dedication in the gospel have never been so pointed and driven. I know where I stand, I know better than ever who I am, and where I am going. For that, I have to say that this is the greatest thing to ever happen to me. It is supremely difficult, but it is forcing me to give more than I've ever given, and to be something more than I was yesterday.
One of my good friends told me (with very little emotion) "Well, there are sadder stories." when I explained about my situation. I have thought of that over & over, and remembered that this is a HUGE loss, but it could be worse, and I need to get past any self-pity that tries to park on my heart's doorstep. Grieve and ache and cry, but don't let those things be the end. Dedicate yourself to something big. Give of your heart and time and soul. Ponder, reflect, and be worthy and humble.
And to add a bunch of additional blessings, Be Obedient!!

You never know where it will get you. : )

3 comments:

  1. Thank you again for sharing your heart with us! I love you.

    Pat commented our conversation last night was "deep". Thanks for the depth of strength and spirit you possess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You rock Becka! I've been kind of coasting in the spiritual department- thanks for this post, I really need to start working at it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rejoice with your successes, I weep with your pains, I pray for your comfort and growth. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for being a part of our lives. Know that our thoughts and prayers are often (i.e. multiple times a day, even an hour) with you. You are experiencing the peace that comes from following the "small and simple" things our Father in Heaven has asked us to. You are discovering how he talks to you, and where he wants you to go, and who he wants you to be. To do so takes enormous courage and strength - sometimes more (much more) than we think we have. You are learning this and I find joy in seeing you discover how truely wonderful you are. May God bless and comfort you as often as needed.

    ReplyDelete