Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Cold Weather Camping

Given the fact that I have 3 camping trips and a desert bonfire under my belt within the last 5 weeks, I figured I should post something to reflect how much I enjoy camping.

The first trip was solo on Mt. Graham in Safford, AZ. Beautiful, quiet, and a bazillion stars at night. And a heard-but-not-seen animal which stole my slipper from under a tent flap at 4:30 AM. (Hmmm, is this a clue that they STINK??!) I did get it back. After being a bit freaked and going back to sleep for a few hours.

Second trip was with a group of friends on Mt. Ord, between Mesa and Payson. A quick jaunt up the highway and along a dirt road turn-off, and HEY-we're in the mountains!! Definitely different terrain, but absolutely beautiful nonetheless, and an incredible view to the north (don't you love it when the tree leaves change color?!)










Kim, myself, and Susie







Bonfire - in the desert off Peralta Trail, east of Apache Junction. Bonfire, stars, sandwash, s'mores, bare feet, and new people to meet?!! That's my element. I can't seem to get enough of it right now.



And the most recent camping trip was near Clints Well, approx 30 miles north of Payson, past Strawberry & Pine. A group of 8 dwindled down to just me due to cancellations, and then a roomie surprised me and came along. We bypassed the 'formal' campsite (dubbed the Jethro Tull campsite by my roomie, due to the WEEird staring-guy we passed, and the fact that there were all of 5 campsites, and they were directly off the highway. Like literally 15 feet from it.) That's a poor excuse of a campground. Woods, solitude, and no paved roads in sight . . . these should be a requirement of anything being formally titled a campground. We explored a few side roads, and found a cozy little spot in a clearing.



Two things that I can't go without ranting and raving about are recent purchases which have made my camping trips not just bearable, but DOWNright (hehe) comfortable.





The first: Down Booties.

Seriously girls, if you are anything like me and your toes are like ice cubes which canNOT seem to thaw when the temperature dips below 60, these are like heaven on earth. Wear 'em around the campsite, wear 'em inside your sleeping bag -- using these babies, for the first time EVER, my feet weren't cold at ALL. And temps were low 40's or worse. Did I mention that I love them? Ya, that's an understatement.

And Second? A Beanie Cap with Earflaps










I have to admit that I love the way these look. I have a regular beanie cap, but having just acquired this style (with the earflaps) and testing it out during the latest and coldest camping trip, I am completely, 100% sold. Between the booties and the wool earflap hat, I wasn't just warm, I was hot at times. And I mean taking-the-hat-and-my-coat-off-to-cool-down hot. Cozied up in my camping chair, in front of the fire, coat behind me (not on), down booties securely in place, and the hat on...and off. And believe me, it was cold.







A few more things which have allowed me to even consider cold-weather camping (I'm a total wimp when I get cold. And I get cold easily. And then stay REALLY cold for what feels like forever . . .)
A down coat and really good sleeping bag. Plus, I've gotten luxurious, and I take an air mattress. I sleep just as good (if not better due to the fresh air and peaceful night-noises) as I do at home in my big, comfy bed.



I'm turning into a campaholic. : )



Oya - and the coolest thing about all the camping stuff I'm ranting about? You can find it all on REI Outlet for 50-70% off. The down booties are currently $15, the hat is $13, sub-zero sleeping bags can be found for $50-60, and down coats are regularly on sale (I paid 40 for mine, but that was several years ago). Happy shopping!!

1 comment:

  1. A campaholic is the best kind of aholic to be! Love the format change on the blog! Feels fun and festive . . . like you!

    ReplyDelete